- "More to be desired are they than gold, even much fine gold...." (Psalm 19:10a)
- "...the words of the LORD are flawless, like silver purified in a crucible, like gold refined seven times" (Psalm 12:6).
- "The law from your mouth is more precious to me than thousands of pieces of silver and gold" (Psalm 119:72).
- "...I love your commands more than gold, more than pure gold" (Psalm 119:127).
How is this possible?
No matter our health, no matter our circumstances, we can still make the choice to SHINE!So many choices we can make to shine.
- We can make choices of joy when happiness is out of the question.
- We can make the choice of contentment when circumstances change.
- We can decide to trust instead of fear, taking courage and moving forward—trusting God's love.
And Jesus says to us:
"YOU are the light of the world ..." (Matthew 5:14).
Hearing those words, I want to shine as a light in our culture—to point people to the truth of scripture and the love and goodness of the Father.
- "But the path of the righteous is like the light of dawn, which shines brighter and brighter until the full day" (Proverbs 4:18).
- "The light of the righteous shines brightly ..." (Proverbs 13:9).
- "... those who are wise shall shine like the brightness of the sky above ..." (Daniel 12:3).
So much talk about who's lives matter.
- of the slaves who died on slave ships ...
- of those killed by ISIS ...
- of those the Communists imprisoned and killed in Siberian camps ...
- of those in Hitler's ovens ...
- of those killed in abortion clinics ...
- of those murdered on our streets every day ...
So much cruelty and hate.
I believe ALL lives matter because we are all made in the image of God (Genesis 1:27).It's man's inhumanity to man—a terrible sin problem—that leads to lives not "mattering" today.
Only the Lord can solve this. Only the Lord can change hearts and the way we think about each other (2 Corinthians 5:17; Romans 12:2).
In the meantime, our laws and authorities can do their best to prevent our hateful acts and punish those who intend to do people harm (Romans 13:1-3). Civil Government is divinely ordained and for our good. (See note at end about evil government.)
I am thankful for public servants who put their lives on the line to protect us against evil-doers.
The Bible says, "Be kind to one another ... tenderhearted, forgiving" (Ephesians 4:32). It's a choice! Christians, we can do this in Christ, who loved and forgave us.
Love people; don't hurt them.
How can you show someone love and kindness today? Show YOU MATTER! in a practical way!
- the importance of the heart,
- how we can have a "heart check-up,"
- how having a heart for God includes responding to God's love,
- how a heart for God means we are willing to let God lead us,
- and especially, how crucial it is that our heart is "hot" for God, not lukewarm (Revelation 3:15-16).
We need to take the "temperature" of our heart and make adjustments if we're not hot ("on fire") for the Lord.I don't want to be a lukewarm Christ-follower.
John of Kronstadt, a pious Russian Orthodox Christian, once said, "Your Lord is a fire: do not let your heart be cold, but burn with faith and love." *
I found myself praying two questions:
As I watch television these days, I see our enemy, Satan, hasn't deviated much from his initial strategy. Even as he tricked Eve and then Adam with his lies, the devil delights in tripping us up with rotten lies.
Satan's lies, according to 2 Corinthians 11:3, lead to to thoughts being "led astray." We start justifying sin. We call it by another name. We wander into wickedness because we aren't anchored to truth.
We see this in our homes, government and even the church. The consequence of these wayward thoughts for Chritians? False, corrupted devotion to Christ.
Read this progression for yourself:
- through false teachers and religions (2 Corinthians 11:12-13; 2 John 1:7);
- from believing lies in the culture—the world system (Romans 12:2; Colossians 2:8);
- or even lies that arise in our own hearts (Proverbs 14:12; 1 Corinthians 3:18; 1 John 2:16; James 1:14-15).
We can't afford to play loosely with the truth of Scripture. We've got to know, embrace and obey the Truth!