10/10/07

Prayer: Standing against the Enemy

As we listen to the news each day, we have a choice about how we will respond. My new choice is to pray.

For example, when Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad visited the United States recently, he caused quite a stir. I was angered, as usual, by his anti-American, anti-Israel rhetoric. I started spouting off about the insanity of Columbia University to invite him to speak, and the foolishness of offering the terror-espousing leader “freedom of speech” when he is not party to our democratic freedoms.

But then God’s Spirit nudged me. Pray.

So I prayed. I prayed that truth would be revealed. I prayed that people would be discerning and hear the lies Ahmadinejad speaks. I prayed for Iranian believers everywhere, and all missionaries to the Muslims. I prayed that God’s Spirit would convict Muslims’ hearts. I prayed for safety, protection, and wisdom for those involved in security during the Iranian President’s visit.

Suddenly it hit me. In prayer, I was standing against the enemy...not our likely enemy from Iran, but our truest, most deadly enemy, Satan himself. We are not to be ignorant of his devices (2 Corinthians 2:11). The scriptures speak of the battles being waged between the powers of righteousness and the powers of evil (2 Corinthians 10:3-5; Ephesians 6:12). James 4:7 says, “Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.” God’s power is stronger than “he that is in the world” (I John 4:4). So, God wants us to be vigilant and to stand strong against the enemy by putting on the armor of God (I Peter 5:8-9; Ephesians 6:11-17) and praying for others in faith. (See Luke 22:31-32 for Jesus’ example of intercessory prayer.)

Fundamental to the Christian worldview is the truth that God is ultimately going to win! We need to pray with that in mind. We need to pray that God’s purposes will be accomplished. Prayer is a much better choice than cursing the darkness.

No comments: