11/14/07

'Grammy Camp'

I never expected to be this busy as a midlifer. I always dreamed I'd be just like my Grandma Parks, sewing and baking cookies. But God had other plans: college at age 50; a new ministry at 56; a crazy-packed writing and speaking calendar. I find that I have to be proactive and schedule-in time for my granddaughters. Schedule them in? Oh, that sounds so horrible; but it is my reality. The point is, I care about my granddaughters, and I want to be a part of their lives. They must be a priority! That's my goal, even when I fail so miserably sometimes in meeting it.

So, once in a while, I plan something fun. In October, it was "Grammy Camp." I cleared away all the breakables from the living room and gave the girls blankets and clothes pins. We designed a "campground" in the living room, draping the blankets over chairs, a small table, and the coffee table. We even added a flag. Then we turned out the lights, crawled into our "tent," and told stories by the light of a flashlight. We ate microwave S'mores and laughed. I prayed for them, told them how much I love them, and that I just knew God had wonderful plans for their lives. I prayed for their husbands, growing up somewhere in the world.

Children (and grandchildren) are indeed God's "heritage" (Psalm 127:3). His righteousness is not for us only, but "to our children's children" (Psalm 103:17). Motivational expert Steven Covey said there are "two lasting bequests we can give our children." One is roots and the other is wings. We can give those same gifts to our grandchildren. My granddaughters may not remember "Grammy Camp," but I hope they will never forget, "Grammy loves me and she prayed for me."

Bless your grandchildren, and point them to the Lord. And if you're not a grandparent, you can still create God-ward memories to bless your family, co-workers, and friends.

No comments: