3/12/08

Voices of the Heart

There is no real change in our lives without first becoming transparent and honest, which is why I work so hard to teach the ladies in my Sunday school class how to be open-hearted with each other. When we get honest before God and others about the condition of our hearts, then the healing can begin.

Proverbs 23:7 says, “As a man thinks in his heart, so is he.” What we are thinking will eventually show up in our belief system, and then our behaviors. In that sense, our choices are the voices of our hearts. Our choices reveal our hearts. I heard someone say that people who are very ill reveal their true character because they don’t have the strength any longer to cover up their flaws. That may or may not be true, but what is in the heart of man eventually rises to the surface.

When I’m old, I want to be
a wise and gracious saint;
but it’s true (and I hate to admit it),
sometimes now, I ain’t!

Bad English aside, that’s the confession of my heart. I’ve often heard Nancy DeMoss of Revive Our Hearts Ministries say that she wants to be a wise old woman someday with true inner beauty (Proverbs 31:30). That’s been a goal of mine, too, so I need to guard my heart every day (Proverbs 4:23, NIV).

God sees my heart (I Samuel 16:7), so it’s foolish to hide. God knows whether you and I truly want to make the choices that will please and honor Him. The truth is, what we will become, we are choosing now. Our everyday choices count.

No comments: