4/23/08

Stein's Magnificent Challenge

If you haven’t seen the movie Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed (which debuted in theaters on April 18), I strongly urge you to go. It will be one of your best choices this year. Take a liberal, and it will be an even better choice!

When I attended this powerful, pro-Intelligent Design flick, I was prepared for a bit of indoctrination from both sides of the evolution-Intelligent Design debate, but I was not prepared to hear such foolishness from the mouths of those who claim to be the intellectual elite in our country. (I won’t spoil the experience for those who have yet to go.) As Ben Stein worked both sides, revealing why a number of highly credentialed scientists and scholars were forced out of their jobs because they simply proposed Intellectual Design as a possible alternative to Darwin’s theories, the theater sounded like a church congregation one minute—people spouting, “That’s right”!—and a comedy club the next.

I was engaged in more than what transpired on screen. I watched a young, tattooed girl, sitting slightly to my left and one row ahead. A bit rowdy, she scoffed at scientists who addressed issues from a perspective she’d obviously never heard, or at least, never believed.

“Yeah, right!” she mocked. Half way through the documentary, however, she leaned forward in her seat, her mouth open as she watched Stein stroll painfully through a German extermination site. She had perhaps never made the connection between Darwin’s theory and Hitler’s politics. The girl turned to a male friend as a Planned Parenthood sign flashed across the screen and Stein explained how Margaret Sanger’s organization grew from Darwinian philosophy. She heard Richard Dawkins, the Oxford scientist who wrote The God Delusion, explain why his atheism grew out of his faith in evolution. Stein allowed the foolishness of man to speak for itself (I Corinthians 3:19). When the tattooed girl left, she appeared quiet and thoughtful. I wondered whether Stein opened her mind. I wondered whether he changed it.

As Stein challenged the audience to stand up for true academic freedom, my eyes filled with tears. The whoops, “right ons” and rolling applause in the theater was so intense, I almost expected a standing ovation. It’s hard to know what the long-term effects will be for this remarkable film, but I’m sure that America’s liberal elite must feel threatened and concerned that their belief system might just crash if theater-goers find their backbones. This is a crucial time to stand for truth. Stein gave us an opportunity, and if we are wise, we will take it.

1 comment:

Maggie said...

Wow--what a great post. I certainly have been wanting to go see this. Thanks for sharing about the girl in the theater..I prayed for her today that the Truth would sink in and that the Enemy wouldn't be allowed to steal it.
Blessings to you!
Maggie Paulus