4/30/08

Of Paper Clips and Proactive Choices

Would you rather use a paper clip, clamp, or staple to hold papers together? Would you choose chocolate or vanilla ice cream? Would you choose to watch American Idol or read from the Bible? Would you lie about your income for a tax report, or tell the truth? Some decisions don’t make much difference in the scheme of life. Others aren’t wise or healthy, and some decisions can be devastating.

All choices count, even the paper clip/ clamp/ staple scenario, as I discovered when I dropped my notes before speaking. The paper-clipped stack came undone and scattered across the floor. I had to collate the unnumbered papers (another bad choice) while my audience watched with amusement!

My friend Pam Farrel is a kindred spirit in this whole issue of choices. In her book, The 10 Best Decisions a Woman Can Make (Harvest House, 1999), she opens chapter one with this title: “Decide to Decide: You Make Your Choices and Your Choices Make You.” I couldn’t have said it better myself, Pam! This chapter epitomizes my entire ministry. If I live my life haphazardly, I will have haphazard results. I must be proactive and decide exactly how I want to live my life. No choice is unimportant. For me, as a Christian, that means finding the heart and will of God, and making choices accordingly (Ephesians 5:15-17).

What are your choices today? In this hour? Right at this very minute? You will perhaps make choices today about what you will think, how you will respond, what you will do, where you will go, who you will believe, what you will dream, and so much more.

I have become passionate about choices because I see the consequences of choices (both devastating and dream-building) everywhere I turn. Many choices have the potential to bless people or put them in bondage, to build the kingdom of God or tear it down. I’ve determined that I will be proactive and choose wisely and well. I’m not perfect by any means, but the choices I make today will make a difference.

No comments: