8/27/08

Tenacious Temptation

I had no idea how persistent Morning Glories are! We planted a couple of vines on our side fence a few years ago, and they now cover the entire length of the fence. I thought the plants were dying in cold weather last year, but no-o-o-o-o! It’s back full force and then some! When I rip out vines that dare to curl around our rose bushes and jasmine, they grow back with a vengeance.

Here in California’s early summer sun, our vines are quickly covered with funnel-shaped pinkish purple flowers. Other Morning Glory versions sport blue, white, red, and even yellow blooms. The lovely Blue Dawn Flower (Ipomoea indica) is a South American beauty that can produce 60,000 flowers at the rate of 300 per day. Yikes!


As I was clipping back the vines today, I thought about how tenacious Morning Glories are. They are beautiful, but sometimes they drive me crazy with their persistent growth. They invade other areas of the garden, and under the lovely surface of the vines, there is a tangle of dead leaves and debris.


How like temptation, I thought. It is unrelenting and tenacious, always trying to wrap itself around my heart, if I let it go unchecked. When I think that I’m safe from temptation, that’s the time to beware. The lusts of temptation may be beautiful, but underneath, there is “deadness” (James 1:15). I have to be aware and always guard my heart (Proverbs 4:23). If I’m wise, I will not give place to the devil (Ephesians 4:27). If I don’t want sin to take over my life, I have to “tear down the vines of temptation.”

No comments: