9/3/08

Back to School

I always hated it when my boys returned to school. I home schooled for much of their education, but when I think about the year they finally went to “regular” school, I remember my pain as they charged up the steps to their first classes, rolling their eyes as I tried to take a photo “to make a memory.” God’s timing for that stage of their lives was perfect, though difficult.

Later, I returned to finish my college education (when I was 49). God’s timing was perfect for that, too. But I’ve discovered that I’m a “lifelong student.” Maybe a better way to say that is—God is my lifelong teacher! Just when I think that I’ve learned an important lesson, He opens a new chapter and says, “Let Me show you something.”

I remember a childhood song: “Teach me your ways, Oh Lord, my God, / That I may walk in Your truth. / Give me a totally, undivided heart /That I may fear Your name.” One of my favorite scriptures is Psalm 25:4-5: “Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long.”

David wanted to know “the instruction from God’s mouth” that is precious treasure (Psalm 119:72). God’s teaching is the most valuable education we’ll ever receive. Studying in His school is an adventure. I want to be like Mary who made the good choice to sit at Jesus’ feet, listening to His wisdom (Luke 10:42). How wonderful to be taught by the Lord!

No comments: