10/29/08

No Fear of 'Fright Night'

I’ve never loved horror films. Whether it’s Fright Night, Amityville Horror, Night of the Living Dead, or any other classic horror flick, I don’t watch them. I figure, there’s enough terror and evil in this world without filling my mind with media versions. Unfortunately, our culture is deluged with a horror focus during this time of year. Halloween gives television and movie houses an excuse to indulge in horror and fear.

I am so thankful that, as a Christian, I don’t need to dwell on these things. Philippians 4:8 gives me focal points for my mind: things that are true, honorable, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, and praiseworthy. (Not much room for “horror” there.) Verse nine says that if I will focus on these things, the God of peace will surround me with a sense of His presence. I prefer that to thoughts of “horror” any day!

Halloween is a good time to discuss fear with children, whether you participate in holiday events or not. Christian children need to be firmly grounded in the love of God, and understand Jesus’ power over evil. (See Matthew 4:1-11 - a good story to share with children at this time). Children who do not know Him need to understand that the forces of evil are not going to win. Halloween is a powerful opportunity to share the truth about God and Satan. One of the best choices you can make at this season is to turn children’s eyes upon Jesus. Help them look “full in His wonderful face,” and away from the fears of “Fright Night.” Overcome evil with good (Luke 14:31).

No comments: