11/5/08

Flip-Flopping

God has been teaching me a lot about “flip-flopping” lately. I’m not talking about politicians’ changed policies before elections, and I’m not talking about those summer “thong” sandals (called “flip-flops”)—although I could write pages about those! I’m talking about positively “flip-flopping” our thoughts and behaviors to the glory of God.

I’m learning to turn things around. When I start to think negatively, I do a “180” and replace the negativity with positive truth from God’s Word. When I’m emotionally strung out, I purposefully praise God or offer thanks. When I’m stressed and overworked, I take a 30-second time out to rest in the Lord and seek His will for the rest of my day, or I plan in some fun for my day, or find something to celebrate.

God is the great “Flip-flopper” of circumstances. One of my favorite examples of how God purposes “flip-flops” in our lives is found in the Joseph’s words in Genesis 50:20: “You meant it for me for evil, but God meant it for good.” Another example of flip-flopping is found in Colossians 1:8-11, Ephesians 4:22, Romans 13:14, and many other scriptures. There are certain things God wants us to “put off” from our lives, and then things that He wants us to “put on.” One of the most important ways we can “flip-flop” is to recognize sins in our lives and repent. To repent is to turn around; to do a spiritual 180.

Flip-flopping is fun to think of in terms of choices. What harmful things can I choose to eliminate from my life, and what can I add that will build my life?

P.S. - By the time this blog is published, we will likely know the name of our next president. I am hoping it is John McCain, but regardless, I know that God is sovereign, and He will not be shaken from His throne by any choice we make in an election. Psalm 47:8 is clear: God reigns over the nations; God sits on his holy throne. Proverbs 21:1 reminds us that the "king's heart" can be turned by the hand of the Lord. My responsibility (and choice) as a Christian is to pray for all who are in authority (I Tim. 2:1-3). Whether Obama or McCain, the challenges of the next four years will be complicated. Our only sure hope is in God.

No comments: