2/11/09

He Delights in Me!

I am the beautiful bride of Christ! Sometimes I don’t feel so beautiful when I look in the mirror, but the Bible says it is true; and I know that it is an inner work, not external beauty. I am beautiful because of the sacrifice of Jesus, applied to my heart. Because of Him, I have eternal life, but I also have beauty, worth, and purpose.

Solomon declared to his bride: “How beautiful you are, my darling! Oh, how beautiful!” (Song of Solomon 1:15 TNIV) Song of Solomon is a lovely story that reveals God’s passionate heart for His people. Commentaries suggest it is also a picture of the redemptive love of Jesus for His bride. I see this same overflowing love expressed in other places in scripture. One of my favorites is Zephaniah 3:17: “The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing.”

All human love pales by comparison—even the wonderful love I share with my husband as we celebrate Valentine’s Day. Even the tender, quiet-but-deep love of my human father. Simply put, God thinks I am beautiful and precious, even when I am most unlovable and unlovely in my own eyes. He created me to be a unique expression of His grace. When the Father looks at me, He sees the mark of Jesus in my life. It is my responsibility to get ready for my heavenly wedding (Eph. 5:27).

How wonderful that on days when I feel like a slug and look like a toad, God still delights in me. I choose to focus on that truth instead of the lies that sometimes clang around in my brain.

1 comment:

God plus Four said...

Amen! We are so HUMAN! thanking the Lord for you on this Love Day and knowing that your heart is filled with HIS love and hope!