3/11/09

Staying Alive

I ran across this statement today by an unknown author: “Every day, I beat my own previous record for the number of consecutive days I’ve stayed alive.” A little silly; a little profound. I’m at the age where there are more days behind me than will likely be ahead of me. More and more, I’m doing the things that I should have been doing years ago to ensure better health so I can live longer. I want to live to see my granddaughters’ high school graduations and marriages. I want to play with my great-grandchildren. So staying alive is a powerful goal.

But even more than physical life, I want to be sure that I’m truly living all the days of my life. I’ve stopped playing it safe. In the words of Gary Haugen (Just Courage), “One of the biggest regrets of life, I think, is a sense of having gone on the trip but missed the adventure.” I don’t want to miss the adventure.

I may have arthritis and bad knees and headaches, but I am still alive, and as long as I’m on earth, I want to live with passion and purpose. I want to walk worthy of God—pleasing Him, serving Him, and searching out His heart (Col. 1:10). “For I am God’s masterpiece. He created me anew in Christ Jesus, so I can do the good things he planned for me long ago.” (Eph. 2:10, NLT, personalized). What choices will enable me to follow Him today?

No comments: