5/6/09

Beyond June Cleaver

I have to confess. I love June Cleaver. Beaver’s mom was all that I wanted to be. She adored her family—respecting and loving her husband Ward, and guiding her sons Wally and Beaver with wisdom and compassion. I even grew to love aprons because of June! My friend Nancy Thompson, who spent many years in ministry alongside her husband Cecil, confessed that she also used to vacuum in heels, just like June. I can’t imagine.

June always seemed to look right and act right. (Ok, she was a little too perfect. She was a “Martha” to the max. I always wondered whether her hair would muss up if she stepped out to do grocery shopping on a windy day.)


Like June, I had two sons, and I soon discovered that the Cleaver Clan had abnormal genes. No one lives like that! The challenges of clothing, feeding, teaching, disciplining, and loving my boys taught me a lot about reality. I mean, what would you do if your child emptied all the wood chips out of a plant holder at your local mall? What would you do if your child walked into a store and said, “My mother is lost”? What would you do if your refrigerator suddenly developed a black hole, sucking out every last bite of food? Boys eat a lot!


I like to think June Cleaver was on to something powerful and good; perhaps she was a modern Proverbs 31 woman. But I’m also a realist. Proverbs 31 women aren’t perfect, and they don’t live in perfect circumstances. I know Proverbs 31 women who don’t fit the mold of “wife” anymore, because their husbands left them for younger women. I know Proverbs 31 women who are single and content; and some who are single and not-so-content. I believe the Proverbs 31 woman is a basic template that points women to a godly pattern of purpose and femininity.


In recent days, I’m caught up in a growing women's movement that is designed to help women return to biblical womanhood. It’s called True Woman. True Woman encourages women to embrace God’s design and mission for their lives, reflect the beauty and heart of Christ, pass on biblical truth to the next generation, and pray for genuine God-sent revival in the home, church, nation, and world. I may never be a June Cleaver, but by God’s grace, I choose to be a True Woman!

1 comment:

Maria said...

Isn't it amazing how easily we, women, can fall into the trap of wanting to be like a fictional character? I grew up wanting to be Samantha (from Bewitched), who could do anything with a quick wiggle of the nose.

Dawn, thank you for the challenge to reevaluate our role models and to "choose" to be a "true woman."

Maria