8/5/09

God Never Blinks

As I read Regina Brett’s 45 Life Lessons in a time of personal distress, I had to smile. “Everything can change in the blink of an eye,” she said, “But don’t worry; God never blinks.”

As a college student in Pennsylvania, I often listened to the late-night radio programs coming from Chicago’s Moody Bible Institute. As I drifted off to sleep each night, I loved a particular theme song on one program. The words of that song are still with me: “He never sleeps. He never slumbers. He watches me night and day. He never sleeps. He never slumbers. He keeps me safe along the way.” What an awesome thought! The same God whose eye is on the sparrow watches me all day, and all night. As Henry Wadsworth Longfellow’s Christmas carol, “I Heard the Bells,” says, “Then pealed the bells more loud and deep; God is not dead; nor doth he sleep….”

Psalm 121 in the Message describes our never-sleeping Father God: “… your Guardian God won’t fall asleep. Not on your life! Israel’s Guardian God will never doze or sleep” (vv. 3-4). Because God never sleeps, we can lie down in peace and sleep in safety (Psalm 4:8; 121:5-8). God did not need to rest in creation because he was tired, because God never gets weary (Isaiah 40:28). He merely paused in His creative acts. But we humans need rest, and God offers it to us in Jesus (Matthew 11:28; Hebrews 4:9)

The fact that God never blinks is reassuring, but it also reminds us that He is the Sovereign God—in control of His creation, 24/7. Because God does not sleep, He is the only one who can be our true guardian.

When my boys were very small, I walked into their room as they slept and stroked their hair. They rested securely, knowing that Mom and Dad were there to protect them; but they could not imagine the fragility of human protection. God, on the other hand, stands steady watch over His children; He never lags in attention and He is all-powerful. He is our rock and fortress (Psalm 62:1-2).

When we choose to not rest in God, what does that say about our faith in His control?

1 comment:

Tadabass said...

You mentioned in August, 2009, that you heard a Moody radio station play a song, "He never sleeps, He never slumbers".
As a child growing up in Chicago, Ill. I can vividly remember my parents listening to a program with that theme song. It was very haunting, yet soothing at the same time. I am going through some challenges now and would love to find a copy of that song. I am trying to find out more information on the program it was on and how I can get that song. the web has very little about it. Do you know any more info by any chance?
I would greatly appreciate your help.