10/7/09

Lusting for a Jacuzzi

I confess. I was lusting for a Jacuzzi this week. It consumed my thoughts for two days. The struggle went something like this:

“Father God, you know I like to enjoy life, and you know I have achy muscles. I’d love to have a Jacuzzi.”
Nothing wrong with a Jacuzzi, I heard, but why don’t you long for heaven with that much desire?
“What do you mean? I’m serving you, and didn’t you promise to give us abundance in life?”
No, I promise abundant life. But it’s not all about you, anyway. Don’t you care about what is in My heart?

It’s my constant struggle. I love our comfortable home, but know my home in heaven is beyond compare. I want creature comforts, but know there’s more to life than the things I accumulate. I want what I want, but know that it’s not all about me. Do you feel that tension?

It’s a good tension. We need reminders that we only pass through this short span of time once, and we’re destined for eternity. Whether we long for a Jacuzzi, or a shiny red convertible, or a Mediterranean cruise—and there’s nothing wrong with any of those things—we also must remember that there’s a battle for souls going on all around us, and we need to stay strong, alert, and committed in the battle.

In the midst of my lusting for the Jacuzzi, I read something by John Piper. He got it right when he wrote in Desiring God (p. 200), “There is a war going on. All talk of a Christian’s right to live luxuriantly ‘as a child of the King’ in this atmosphere sounds hollow—especially since the King himself is stripped for battle.” Piper spoke of living a simple “wartime” lifestyle, because there is a huge, “worthy cause” to consider. In these Last Days, the battle for souls and the struggle for personal holiness must occupy more and more of our time and money. A wartime mentality will help us achieve victories and guard against loss.

Without the Bible, we wouldn't know the strategies of our enemy; but I’m so thankful God revealed an invisible world with an enemy who wants to destroy us. The Scriptures say Satan deceives and blinds us (John 8:44; 2 Corinthians 4:4), and uses our fallen nature and the culture (1 John 2:16) to tempt us to drop our guard. The battle is spiritual, and our enemy is fully engaged and determined. More than ever before, we need to prepare for battle with the full armor of God (Ephesians 6:11-18).

We are not helpless; our choices can make a powerful difference (1 Corinthians 10:13). When we surrender to God, He will transform us through His Word and the Spirit (Romans 12:1-2); so we don’t have to surrender to the enemy’s devices. It’s so easy to be sidetracked by our “stuff” and the call of this world. We must be vigilant against our enemy's attacks (2 Corinthians 2:11; 1 Peter 5:8-9; James 1:14-15).

I’d still like that Jacuzzi (and I may get one someday), but “I get it, Lord.”

2 comments:

Marja said...

Good post Dawn! I remember how we got our jacuzzi. One day we were sitting outside in our yard, the day was perfect, everything was beautiful... one of those days. we said jokingly to each other: "well, all we need is a jacuzzi now".
Believe it or not, the next day a friend called and asked if were interested in her jacuzzi, she gave it to us!
So, don't fret over it, just wait and see...

Dawn Wilson said...

Thanks,Marja.
I'm not "fretting." I'm believing God for one, someday, if He wants me to have one. So I guess I'm "faith-ing."