3/3/10

High Heels, and Sneakers,and Flats ... Oh My!

You can never have too many friends. I also think you can never have too many books—but then, I’m a writer. But what about shoes?

I won’t even tell you how many shoeboxes are stacked in my closet. I’ve tried weeding through them, but each one serves a purpose. It’s almost like I’ve given each pair of shoes a personality… each one is like an old friend. And like I said: you can never have too many friends.

I just finished speaking at an all-day women’s event in Ft. Myers, Florida. The theme was “Choices of the Heart,” and my keynote message was “The Power of Your Choices.” The ladies (who were some of the friendliest women I've ever met) used shoes as a decorating theme, and I thought, How appropriate! We ladies often have a tough time choosing the right shoes for the events in our lives. Have you ever worn classy high heels to a meeting, and wished all day that you’d worn the cute flats instead? Ugh.

Simple choices may not be life-and-death issues, but they do affect us. Sometimes they affect how we can serve others … how people perceive us … whether we can move forward in confidence … or what our next choice might be. My Facebook friend, Joan Webb, speaks of being intentional in her Facebook Group, The Intentional Woman. Like Joan, it’s my experience that we become intentional women by making intentional, proactive choices … once choice at a time.

Joshua told the Israelites, “Choose this day whom you will serve” (Joshua 24:15, ESV). He meant, of course, that that day was a day to make a life-changing, purposeful decision to follow and serve the one true God; but I take that thought one step further. We choose, every day, whom we will serve.

Our daily choices can solidify or bolster our original decisions. If I decide to lose weight in order to be healthy, it’s my daily food and exercise choices that will accomplish that original choice. If I purpose to be more intimate with God, it’s my choice of daily time in the Word and prayer that will fulfill that desire. We can’t escape the power of our individual choices in building a framework for progress and success.

Simply put, we choose, and our choices design our lives.

What seemingly small daily choice has changed the direction of your life? I'd love to hear from you.

For more help with choices, read: "Seven 'Cs' for Making Wise Choices," "Reasons, Not Excuses," or "Not Choosing Blindly."

6 comments:

crazydaisy said...

Very well written! It made me think, not only about my shoe choice (which has boiled down to ONLY snow boots since September), but my everyday, moment by moment choices. Thanks, Dawn.... I need to think about them more!

Dawn Wilson said...

Ha, CrazyDaisy! (snow boots)
I'm so glad the words touched your heart. I've been impressed that it's the daily choices that build my habits ... so it's important to choose well.

Tonya Ingram said...

It's like... you wake up and decide "What shoes am I wearing today? Joy, sorrow, love, bitterness, sunshine, clouds, etc." I love this and thanks for the reminder!

Dawn Wilson said...

You're welcome, Tonya! Bless you as you choose wisely.

Marja said...

Great post Dawn. I am not much of a shoe-person, yet, your post made me think. I have made a daily choice to be joyful. If I am (for whatever reason) not joyful, I know I will loose my strength! I want my heavenly Father to rejoice over me, I promised Him to guard my joy by exercising it!

Dawn Wilson said...

You're so right, Marja. The joy (of the Lord!) IS our strength (Neh. 8:10). Choosing joy has helped me recently in three circumstances -- in the midst of pain, in the midst of frustration, and in the midst of confusion. God has been my strength for all these circumstances, and He will help you, too!