3/31/10

Kwitcherbellyakin

A few days after the world watched the horrors following the earthquake in Haiti, I walked through my house with new eyes.

• I wasn’t searching for a bowl of rice. I had food in my refrigerator, kitchen cabinets, and a separate pantry.
• I didn’t have to boil water to remove germs. I had fresh water in my sinks, refrigerator door, and bottles in the garage.
• I didn’t have to huddle under a tarp to avoid the scorching sun. I have a strong roof.
• I wasn’t struggling to stay alive, and if my body started feeling even a bit queasy, medicines and doctors would be available.

I looked into closets and cabinets at all the abundance in my home—and my eyes filled with tears of gratitude.

We have so much in America. The explosion of storage units in the United States points to this abundance and our greed. Yes, we have our homeless, the poor living in Appalachia, and others just getting by with little money to buy food after paying basic bills, but compared to much of the world, we are tremendously blessed; and we need to think seriously and sacrificially about what we can share with others in need.

When I worked full-time for a Christian newspaper, the publisher's office was in his home. I’ll never forget the first time I saw a wooden, carved sign posted above the kitchen doorway. It said, Kwitcherbellyakin. I imagined that my boss and his wife pointed to that sign many times as they taught their children lessons on contentment. Perhaps they saw it when they were tempted to complain. It spoke to me several times while I worked there.

Gratitude and contentment are choices (1 Thessalonians 5:18; 1 Timothy 6:6). If you are reading this, you probably have a computer and at least a few other nice things. We have no real reason to complain, do we? Philippians 2:14a says, "Do all things without grumbling and faultfinding and complaining [against God]" (Amplified Bible). When we grumble, we are really grumbling against the Lord (Exodus 16:7-8).

Our security and provision come from Him; but everything can be taken from us in an instant. We've come to rely on a full pantry, our daily bread. But that's not even secure. [If you doubt that, read "Wheat fungus: Will It Steal Your 'Daily Bread'?"] As believers we must remember the true Source of all we have, and offer God thanks every day. Been complaining lately? Friend, kwitcherbellyakin!

2 comments:

Tonya Ingram said...

LOVE the title!!! I absolutely have NO reason to complain or bellyake! Thank you for the reminder.

crazydaisy said...

Love the title!!!