9/1/10

A Little Lesson from Beanie Babies

On September 1st in 1999, Ty Warner toys announced that they would stop making stuffed Beanie Babies in December of that year. They even produced a little black bear called “The End” to help make that announcement. But consumers urged Ty Warner to change his mind, and Warner did. Beanie Babies are still created to this day. Warner donates huge amounts of money to charities. In fact, on September 13, 2001, he announced a series of charity bears to raise funds for those affected by the terrorist events of 9/11, including signing an "America Bear" that was put up for auction on Ebay.com ~ it sold for $24,000!

The Beanie Babies announcement reminded me that I should never be afraid to change my mind when I realize I'm wrong. But on the flip side, I learned: Never give up when you know you've got a good thing. You've got a good thing when you know it is true and valuable.

I have a "good thing" in my relationship with God. I want to continue to grow, and to spread the Good News of salvation and the truth of God's Word. I want to strengthen my stand for the Lord, my stand of faith (1 Cor. 2:5; 15:1; 1 Thess. 3:8; Eph. 6:10-17) especially as our culture turns from the spiritual moorings of the Founding Fathers.

I have a "good thing" in my country. America is still the best country on earth with the most opportunities, in spite of its serious cultural and political flaws. I want to promote America and protect it by voting in people who believe in our Constitution, and "Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" ~ America's Declaration of Independence. I want to make sure America's dearest values are embraced by the next generation.

I have a "good thing" in my family. I am so blessed. I know that. I have people who care about me, and I love them, too. But if a person does not have that history of family, that does not mean that he/she can't create a powerful family going forward! If there is no marriage, or if there are no children, Christians can still pour their lives into the Family of God ~ the family for eternity. We all need to protect the sanctity of marriage, the biblical roles of men and women, and wise care for children. [Here is a study on scriptures concerning the family.]

This is a simple blog post. God, country, family. These are my "good things" ~ worth preserving, protecting, and promoting.

How about you? What do you value? What are the ties you would stand for in tough times ~ even die for, if necessary? It's a good idea to make proactive choices to strengthen those ties before the tough times come.

2 comments:

Marja said...

Wow, tough questions Dawn... To stand up an die for if necessary... the bible says we should die for our friends, but I don't think I could do that. Die for Jesus if we have to, that is a must. I hope I will never be in that position, but I know in some countries many people face death because of their faith.

Dawn Wilson said...

Right, Marja. And I know we can never really "prepare" for these things. I know that my "mother heart" would gladly die for my sons. As for dying for Jesus, we just need to live in full commitment to our faith -- fearing no one and nothing except God. Persecution will come, if we do that, in some way or form. I'm thanking God that, so far, we have not had to make the martyr's choice -- Jesus or death.