10/20/10

Dreams Come True

Cindi McMenamin wrote, in When a Woman Discovers Her Dream, "If you've ever found yourself thinking 'I wish I could do more with my life,' you're not alone. If you've ever had the idea that there might be something that you're missing, there is. It's the dream you were designed to live out...."

We all have dreams, sometimes from childhood. One of my dreams stems from the comment I heard since I was four years old. "You're going to be a writer someday," my mom said. "Your kindergarten teacher even said that." Am I the best writer? Oh, no. I still have so much to learn about the skills of writing. But I am a writer.

And recently, I wrote a book. LOL with God: Devotional Messages of Hope & Humor for Women ~ co-authored with Pam Farrel ~ is my first book. I intend to write more.

Ephesians 5:17 invites us to live intentionally, not carelessly. We need to be sure we understand what the Lord wants for us, the dream He has put in our hearts; and then we need to go after our dream! Cindi noted, "We cannot separate the dream from the One who has whispered that dream on our heart." In my case, that dream began in childhood. But others do not discern their dream until much later in life.

We all have an enemy who desires to destroy our dreams, and sometimes other people ~ even those we love ~ do or say things that sidetrack us from pursuing those dreams. We get distracted, discouraged, or doubtful. Sometimes the dream takes a different shape in the stages of our lives. Sometimes God resurrects a dream when we are ready for it, better prepared or more passionate to see the dream come true. Often, we need to hand our dream back to God for safekeeping until the time is right.

But the wonderful thing is, because God is the Creator of all good things, it is never too late to dream. If God can give Sarah the desires of her heart for a son in her old age, when she was far past the years of childbearing (Genesis 21:1-7), He can do anything in and through us, too. Nothing is impossible with God! (Luke 1:36-37).

When we delight in the Lord, He gives us the desires of our hearts ~ desires that He put there! To delight is the Hebrew word anag, which is to humble ourselves before God, rest in Him, and relax our control over our lives so He can work. We simply rest our head against His chest (Deuteronomy 33:12) so to speak, secure in the knowledge that He is working all things according to His plan, and for our good (Romans 8:28). We delight in God through our willing, obedient spirit, ready to do His will. We are faithful in little things, sometimes enduring testing and trial, but always inching closer toward the fulfillment of our dreams. It's a paradox. We rest and wait on God while we pursue His purposes for our lives.

I recommend Cindi's book to help women discover and pursue their dreams. She continually points women to our Father God, the ultimate Dream Giver.

No comments: