11/16/10

A Fingerprint from God

I felt old a few weeks ago. Maybe it was my lack of energy from illness. Maybe it was depression from taking too many medications. Whatever the reason, I felt like I had one foot in the grave. On the way to my friend Pam Farrel's house, I turned into her long driveway, and there it was. A fingerprint from God.

Amidst all the green on the hill in front of me stood one lone maple tree, ablaze in red and orange. I stopped the car and stared at the tree. The words that drifted through my mind were, "This is you, Dawn, in the autumn of your life. You may feel old, but I still have much for you to do, and I want your life to stand bold and bright like this tree."

I turned off the ignition as tears flowed down my cheeks. In this serene moment with my Creator, I didn't want to leave too soon. I waited to hear more from Him, but that was all I heard. It was enough.

I'm still not completely well. I'm tired. I still feel old most of the time. But I have fresh vision. No matter what comes my way, it's time to blaze brightly for God.

In the autumn of life, there's still some sap flowing through this ol' gal, and I don't want to waste a minute. I want to bring forth fruit in my autumn years just as I did in the springtime of my youth (Psalm 92:14a). I want the example of my life to teach women how to love God more; I want to live a blameless life (Titus 2:3). I want to use my days wisely and well (Psalm 90:12).

"Oh God, you have taught me from my earliest childhood, and I constantly tell others about the wonderful things you do. Now that I am old and gray, do not abandon me, O God. Let me proclaim your power to this new generation, your mighty miracles to all who come after me." (Ps. 71:17-18).

No comments: