11/3/10

Treasure Beyond Measure

I couldn't find my new ESV (English Standard Version) Bible the other day. Frustrated, I finally sat down with my dog-eared King James. But I had the thought ~ "What if I had no Bible at all?"

I've had that thought before, usually after a sermon about third-world believers and their need for fresh water and the Living Water of the scriptures. But this time, I thought about all the things I would not have, if I had no Bible.

Most important, I'd have no knowledge of salvation. Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God (Romans 10:17). I heard the truth of the Gospel and responded, and my salvation in Christ is my greatest treasure.

But there are other treasures I have because of what I've learned in the Bible:

The Disciples remind us that wherever our treasure is, that's where we'll find the passion of our hearts (Matt. 6:21; Luke 12:34). If my treasure is the Word of God, then I will focus there and live my life in light of what I find in the scriptures.

Some years ago, a Banner of Truth broadcast suggested that the Bible is "a treasure to treasure beyond measure!" The motto, derived from Ps. 119:162, reminds us that we find great joy in having and embracing God's Word.

How is the Word of God your dearest treasure?

Read about my old "eaten" Bible, so precious to me!

1 comment:

Cheryl Ricker said...

It's my greatest treasure because it not only explains a grace that forget my past; it also gives me a future and a hope.