12/15/10

The Precious Death

My grandma, Dorothy Parks, died today ~ oddly enough, on her birthday! It seems fitting somehow, as if she was "born into heaven." I cannot help but remember special days in my past with Grandma, a dear woman of God.

Psalm 116:15 says, "Precious (important and no light matter) in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints (His loving ones)." (Amplified Bible)

What seems like such hurt to me today is precious to God. He now has another of His children safe at home.

Knowing that Grandma had a personal relationship with God because of her trust in Jesus for her eternal salvation (John 3:15-16, 36; 5:24; 10:27-29; 11:25; Romans 8:35-39;
1 John 4:14; 5:11) takes the sting out of her death
(1 Corinthians 15:55).

But also, knowing the strength of her walk with Him, I am comforted that she will receive the "Well done" of reward (Matthew 25:23a).

"Dawnie Babe," Grandma used to say, "the only thing that matters in life is loving and living for Jesus." She and Grandpa each had a quiet faith, but firm. Because of their (and our other set of grandparents') trust in the Lord, my sister Pam and I both grew up knowing that God exists and we can have a personal relationship with Him.

It is this heritage of faith that I celebrate today. With Grandma Parks' passing, I now have no living grandparents. But I have their living faith to comfort and encourage me; and I have a renewed determination that my children and grandchildren will receive the spiritual heritage and wisdom that flowed from my grandparents into my own heart.

It's said that God has no grandchildren. We must each become His children through our own personal trust in the work of Christ. I am thankful for that. I don't want a second-hand faith. And this is my prayer for my children and grandchildren and our generations to come ~ that they will individually know and walk with the God of the Bible, and learn the wisdom of the Word for their personal, daily choices.

Reunion in heaven will be sweet. Because Jesus rose from the grave ~ because He lives ~ so shall we live! Today, I celebrate my grandmother's life, not her death. She is now free from pain and sickness, experiencing the redemption of her body, not just her spirit. And I will see her soon, in God's good time.

(Other Scriptures that comfort and encourage me today ~ Romans 6:3-9; 8:14-23; 14:7-9; 1 Corinthians 15:20-23, 51-57; Philippians 3:20-21; John 11:25-27; Hebrews 7:25).

1 comment:

Marja said...

I am sorry for your loss Dawn, but also thankful for your beautiful post!!