7/13/11

A Confession about Bible Reading

On July 1st, I joined a group of women in reading through the Bible in 90 days. I decided to read through the English Standard Version, I told one of the women, "because I've never read through that version before."

Actually, I'd never read through ANY version before!

Oh, I've read large chunks of the Word. I've studied portions of the Bible ~ whole books. I've researched topics. I've even written and taught my own Bible-based curriculum! I wholeheartedly believe that 2 Timothy 3:16-17 is true.

But I've never read from Genesis 1 through to Revelation 22.

I actually had the thought the other day, "What would you say if God asked you if you ever read all of His book?"

In great spiritual pride, I've told people that I've "read through the Bible" ~ once when a couple of ladies were discussing how many times they'd read through the scriptures, and once in a questionnaire. Simply put, I lied. I'm ashamed of that. I've repented and asked God to forgive me.

So now, as I'm in the middle of this reading journey ~ and it's not about some legalistic drive; it's a venture of grace and something I want to do ~ I'm asking the Lord to make it more than just reading. At 16 chapters a day, I won't have time to actually study, but I'm asking God to help me see a thread of truth, the thread of redemption, and some threads to tie up some of the broken places in my life.

I know that He will address a number of issues ... like t-e-l-l-i-n-g l-i-e-s!

And I will be blessed. Revelation 1:3 says, "Blessed is he that reads...."

That's all I'm going to say today. I lied. I confessed. But I'm reading now.

I challenge you to do the same (to get honest, if necessary ... and to start reading). Summer's a good time for this. If you want a list to check off, there's one here or here.

So join me. Turn off the TV. Turn away from distractions. Turn down the busyness in your life. And turn to God in the Word. It's a summer challenge we won't forget.

1 comment:

Marja said...

Haha, I like your honesty Dawn. I have actually read through the Bible 3 times, the Good News version and the NIV, simply because I wanted to be able to say that I read the whole book :) I have never done quick reading though, it took me more than a year (at least).
I am sure you will be blessed, who won't.. when reading His word?