3/20/12

Am I Good Enough?

The lies of the enemy are so strong that we need to be persistent and bold in exposing and confronting them.

Two women I respect have written books on this topic. I've written previously about one, Nancy Leigh DeMoss, who wrote Lies Women Believe: and the Truth that Sets Them Free. (1) She exposes many of the lies that pertain to biblical womanhood, as well as some of the emotional frustrations that women face that are rooted in lies.

Sharon Jaynes also wrote about lies in her book, "I'm Not Good Enough"... and Other Lies Women Tell Themselves. (2) Her title, "I'm Not Good Enough," captured my attention, because this is an issue I struggle with all the time. I'm like Moses in the Old Testament. God gave him an assignment, but He complained that he was a nobody, not worthy of God's calling, and not eloquent (Exodus 3:11; 4:10-12).

I'm always making excuses for why God can't use me. I'm not smart enough. Not popular enough. Not young enough. Not attractive enough. Not savvy enough. Not talented enough. Not spiritual enough.

Never "enough."

Sharon said the root of this ~ "I'm not good enough" ~ is one of the enemy's favorite weapons, and he uses it to keep God's children in bondage to feelings of inferiority, insecurity, and inadequacy." (3)

"But you are enough," she said. "You are enough and have been equipped and empowered to do everything God has called you to do."

Maybe it's twisted, but I take comfort in knowing that I'm not alone in my "enough" insecurities. As Sharon says, "Many women are living in silent defeat, comparing themselves to other women who likewise are living in secret defeat." (4)

We have to remember that the same God who calls us will enable us. God said to Moses, in effect, remember who it is that is calling you. Just go, and I'll help you! (Exodus 4:11-12) God just wants our obedience, and He is sufficient for all our needs as we obey (2 Corinthians 12:7-10).

Many of the characters in the Bible were imperfect, yet God used them when they surrendered to His will and control. He used a liar (Jacob), a coward (Gideon), a prostitute (Rahab), an orphan (Esther) and many other "unlikely" servants.

"God chooses to do extraordinary work through ordinary people who will bring glory to His name," Sharon said. "It is through men and women who know they are not good enough in their own strength but incredibly powerful in God's strength who slay the giants of this world." (5)

It is foolish to put my trust and confidence in my own flesh and abilities, but as a child of God ~ a believer in the work of Jesus Christ on my behalf ~ I have the incredible power of the Holy Spirit working in me. The same power that raised Jesus from the dead empowers and enables me.

So I need to recognize and reject the lie that I am not good enough, and I need to replace that ugly lie with the beautiful truth of scripture: Christ is with me (John 14:20), God has prepared work for me to do (Ephesians 2:10), and His divine power and nature will give me everything I need to accomplish His will and bring Him glory (2 Peter 1:3-4).

In Jesus, I will always be "enough." He will do more than I dream to ask or think (Ephesians 3:20), but I need to walk in faith with my eyes on Him, not on myself.

(1) Nancy Leigh DeMoss, Lies Women Believe: and the Truth that Sets Them Free (Moody Publishers, 2000).
(2) Sharon Jaynes, "I'm Not Good Enough"... and Other Lies Women Tell Themselves (Harvest House Publishers, 2009).
(3) Ibid., p. 66
(4) Ibid., p. 67
(5) Ibid., p. 70

No comments: