3/7/12

Linking Scripture Memory to Life

I still remember the scriptures that I memorized as a child. It's harder, somehow, to memorize new ones, but it's still a valuable discipline.

There's no question that we should memorize scripture because it is beneficial to us ~ it keeps us from sin and foolishness, arms us for battle against the enemy, prepares us for a life of service and spiritual growth, and enables us to meditate wherever we are (Psalm 37:30-31; 119:9-11, 97; Ephesians 6:13-18; Colossians 3:16; 2 Timothy 2:15; Hebrews 4:12; 5:13-14).

But as a busy, type A+ woman, I used to rationalize that I didn't have any "chunks" of time to memorize scripture verses. But I've learned that ~ whatever scripture memory system* I used (cards, verses on key rings, memory box, fancy scripture cards in albums, etc.) ~ I could incorporate significant portions of scripture memory into my life if I linked the habit to things I was already doing.

I started memorizing by reviewing, at first ... reviewing verses that I had down 75 percent of the way, but had forgotten partially. Then I tackled scriptures that I found myself using in ministry, over and over again. Then I tacked some topical verses that helped me personally in dealing with some "pet sins."

I found that I could memorize scriptures while folding laundry, washing dishes, and all sorts of formerly "mindless" chores. I memorized while waiting at doctor appointments, standing in line at the grocery store or Wal-Mart, and while driving the car (actually, that was review time, because I thought it would be dangerous to read my scripture cards). I've joked about this ~ and maybe I shouldn't ~ but I've even used bathroom breaks for scripture memory, along with "potty prayers."

There are many ways that we can saturate our minds and heart with scripture ~ including through music. You might also want to listen to a scripture Memory CDs produced by Revive Our Hearts and called "Hidden in My Heart" ~ peaceful musical arrangements with scripture lyrics.

I wish I'd started linking scripture memory to everyday life sooner. I'd have a lot more wisdom, for sure, but also more "ammunition" in my battle against the enemy. I'd have a greater stock of biblical answers in counseling and ministry, too.

But it's never too late to start to memorize scripture. Make the choice and do it, no matter your age, because the benefits are incredible, over time. My sweet grandma said she memorized scripture when she could barely see to read the Word; and she said the words she remembered from earlier days of memorizing comforted her heart and she could meditate on them any time.

What is keeping you from memorizing scripture? How can you incorporate it naturally into your day? Do you post scriptures around your house? Where?

Link your scripture memory to everyday life events
, and you'll be surprised how often opportunities pop up to store the scriptures in your heart.


* Two scripture memory programs that many use are the Simply Charlotte Mason program and the Navigators' program. If you're looking for a simple way to beef up your REVIEW of scripture, here's a helpful article, "Scripture Memory 'Queen of Bad' No More."

2 comments:

Peter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Peter said...

Thank you very much for encouraging Scripture memorization! Many people find it helpful to have their memory verses on their smartphone. The app Remember Me for example offers flashcards, games and audio, so you can practice and review Scriptures wherever you are. Remember Me is available for Android, iPhone, iPad and BlackBerry PlayBook.