11/7/12

Four Things I'm Doing After Yesterday's Election

The election is over. Although many are celebrating today, I am still grieving. I weep over what might have been. I weep because I live in a corrupt culture and a deeply-divided country. My candidate did not succeed, and news commentators are spouting many reasons why. They are already suggesting compromises for the future so we can better "play the game" and win.

The only problem with that is, God isn't playing games, and He is more concerned about our hearts than our wins.

The courageous do not wallow in defeat. They rise up with fresh vision and plant seeds for the future ~ seeds of hope rooted in God.

So as I sit here today, reflecting, I know there are four things I must do: Pray, Plan, Proceed and Praise.

I will PRAY and seek God.

Prayer and seeking God are as crucial now as they were before the election. Seeking God is the core need of our lives. God loves us and longs for an intimate, productive relationship, but we entertain idols. We seek things and people that complete with our affection for Him. We don't give God the honored first place in our hearts.

American can only be strong if we trust in the God of Strength (El Gibbor) and His Word. The citizenry of the United States need to see God's power manifest in and through our lives. How will they understand if the Church outside the walls of the church does not teach and live the truth?

This is not a time for compromise, but for commitment. Standing for God does not mean that we will always be a David conquering Goliath. Think about the martyrs of the faith. They certainly didn't get their way. But God wants our hearts ~ our commitment to Him, His Word and ways ~ regardless of the earthly outcome.

God has not suddenly slipped off His throne. I began and ended election day with the same scripture, Daniel 2:20-21: "Blessed be the name of God, forever and ever. He knows all, does all: He changes the seasons and guides history, He raises up kings and also brings them down, He provides both intelligence and discernment" (The Message). Our hope, today and forever, must be in the sovereign God. Whoever puts their trust in Him, no matter the circumstances, "shall be safe" (Proverbs 29:25)

I will PLAN with an eye to the Word of God and a heart rooted in His will.

This is a time for planning and making new strategies. The political parties are already looking ahead to mid-term elections and 2016. It's time for believers to become more proactive too. We live in a corrupt culture. Think about the states who chose against God's standards for marriage and purity. Think about the lies told during the campaigns. America's heart needs changing, and it begins when individuals are awakened to the truth of scripture and their accountability to God.

I want to think about new ways to reach the younger generation in America with biblical truth. I want to encourage Christians as we cope with a government we are not likely to recognize. I want to help Christians understand and embrace the doctrines that used to guide America's morals and ethics ~ and to help more people live a truly Christian worldview, regardless of who is ruling in Washington, D.C.

As I plan, my cry to God is, "Make me to know your ways, O Lord; teach me your paths. Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation" (Psalm 25, 4-5, ESV). God will instruct sinners and lead the humble (vv. 8-9), but we must seek Him, fear (honor/respect/obey) Him  and commit to His ways.

I will PROCEED (act) courageously, making wise choices in the days ahead

God is speaking to my heart about what He wants me to do. He may give you another plan to act upon. Obedience coupled with courage and wisdom are crucial.

  • I will join hands with those who take a stand for the Word of God, traditional marriage, the sacredness of life, biblical manhood and womanhood, cultural change, the Christian worldview and solid, biblical choices.
  • I will continue to pray for and teach the next generation how to make godly choices and stand true to God and His Word. This will, of course, necessitate them knowing the Word!
  • I will encourage strong, godly relationships ~ biblical marriage and strong, empowering friendships.
  • I will encourage leadership ~ for young men and women to develop leadership skills, people skills, and practical wisdom.

I will PRAISE God at all times.

The Lord is worthy of my praise. Though people and circumstances disappoint me, God will never disappoint. So, "I will bless the Lord at all times; his praise shall continually be in my mouth" (Psalm 34:1). This does not mean I am happy about the way things turned out, but I will give thanks even when things do not go my way, trusting God, for praise and gratitude are in the will of God (Ephesians 5:20; 1 Thessalonians 5:18).

How are you dealing with your feelings today? I encourage you, Friends, if you are struggling after the election, to follow me in what I believe is a biblical response:  Pray, Plan, Proceed and Praise.

1 comment:

Golden Keyes Parsons said...

What a great blog! Many, like you, are grieving over this election like none other before that I remember. This can be the church's greatest hour if, in God's strength, we will rise to the occasion. Thanks for posting. I'm going to Tweet it!