6/21/14

Wonder and Our Worth



When I take time to wonder over God and all He has done, I can't help but express gratitude for one act of creation that's very personalme!

I say with the Psalmist, "I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well" (Psalm 139:14).

I do not accept the theory of evolution, because I know I am more than a grouping of cells. I'm more than a system of thoughts or the will to live. I have a spiritual nature. 

I can only understand who I am in light of who God is.

Author Laurie Wallin expresses how our uniqueness is "wonderful" in her book, Why Your Weirdness Is Wonderful: Embrace Your Quirks and Live Your Strengths. She says we carry a unique "design motif" from God. And He felt we were "worth fashioning."

"Our lives, our work and our presence here matter more than we can imagine," Wallin wrote. "When we look at our lives, full of the mundane in many ways, we must not miss the elegance of their design. We can't get lost in what we see as flaws when the fact that our hearts beat independently of anything we do makes us miracles."

God created me (Psalm 139:13) with purpose, just as He created the first couple in the Garden. He didn't mess up when He designed mankind. He created Adam and Eve to be perfectand with His personal touch. They were created in His own wonderful image (Genesis 1:26-27) and He breathed into them His own breath of life (Genesis 2:7). 

Mankind still carries the stamp of that image, even though we suffer from the consequences of The Fall. 

It's an awesome, audacious thoughtthat I could bear His image when I am so ungodlike.

So I had to consider: What does this Image of God—this imago Dei—look like? 

One way for me to try to grasp the concept is to think of a fax machine, or even a snapshot. They are copies of the real thing. But it's more than that. It's not about looking like God, but rather, being imprinted with His character.

In other words, I resemble God or mirror Him in many ways because of His "imprint."

  • I have a spiritual nature because my God is a Spirit (John 4:24).
  • I have a measure of intelligence because my God is a rational, reasoning, intelligent being (Isaiah 1:18).
  • I can speak words and express thoughts because my God communicates.
  • I have emotions because my God has emotions (1 John 4:16; Psalm 11:5).
  • I relate to others socially because my God is relational. We were made for fellowship with God and others, not meant to live alone (Genesis 2:18).
  • I can make moral choices because my God is a moral, volitional being. I can reason and choose because God gave me the freedom to do so. My moral compass is damaged because of sin (James 1:14-15), but His law is written on my heart (Romans 2:15), and I can choose the way of freedom (Galatians 5:1). I can put on His holiness (Ephesians 4:24).
  • I can live with purpose because my God is a purposeful being with a sovereign will.
  • I can create beautiful things because my God is a Creator. I can make inventions, write a book or song, and even "create" simple things like my dog's name!
  • I will live forever, because God breathed His breath into my soul. 

We don't have all of God's attributes, of course, because He is God and we are not. (For instance, we are not all-knowing; we are not all-powerful.) We desperately need a Savior to save us because, though we are imprinted with God's image, we are still dead in our sins (Romans 3:23; 8:6-9; 1 Corinthians 2:14; 1 John 4:14).

Also, although we are all made in His image, God is marvelously creative. We are unique individuals and He has a distinct, wonderful plan for each of our lives. Our greatest satisfaction and fullness will come as we seek the will of God in our daily choices and cooperate in our sanctification—allowing the Father and Spirit to make us like Jesus, the full expression of godliness (1 Corinthians 1:30; Colossians 1:15; Hebrews 1:3).

The wonder of all wonders is that God saw fit to redeem me and restore His untarnished image in me. He gives me worth through His Son. It is the wonder of the "new self (Ephesians 4:24) that comes through Jesus Christ (2 Corinthians 5:17).

Have you found your truth worth in Christ? 

Check out all the "Wonder" articles under the sidebar label WONDER.  

*Quote:  Laurie Wallin, Why Your Weirdness Is Wonderful 
(Abingdon Press, Nashville, 2014), pp. 59-60. 
Image adapted, courtesy of imagerymajestic / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

No comments: