8/7/15

Faith and Revival: Seeking God

Early in August, Life Action Ministries and its division for women's outreach, Revive Our Hearts, enter a special week of seeking God. It is a time of heart examination and prayer for revival (personal, corporate, in the Church).

This "Seek Week" is meant to prepare the teams for another year of outreach both at the ministry headquarters and across the country.



It has been much more than that for me.

It has been a JOYOUS reminder that God is transforming my heart and making me more like His Son, Jesus. He truly is a "rewarder" of those who seek Him (Hebrews 11:6). I've seen growth and change over the years. And I rejoice and give God glory for that.

It's why I personalize and pray this scripture every year during Seek Week,
"Will you not revive me again, 
so I can rejoice in You?" (Psalm 85:6)

There are many scriptures that encourage us to seek the Lord (1 Chronicles 16:11; Psalm 14:2; 27:4, 8; 63:1; Proverbs 8:17; Isaiah 55:6-7; Jeremiah 29:13; Matthew 6:33)

When we draw near to God, He draws near to us, and He cleanses and purifies our hearts (James 4:8; Psalm 51:10). Oh how we need this!

American Christians, we need to seek, know and rejoice in God, just as at the foundation of this country. 

As I watched the GOP Debates last night on Fox News, and heard the candidates discussing America's problemsfinancial debt, terrorism, computer hacking, abortion/Planned Parenthood, corruption, lawlessness, etc.I had this compelling thought: 

"These solutions might help temporarily, 
but what America really needs 
to solve all these problems
 is genuine Revival
America's Christians need to seek the Lord now!"

Byron Paulus, Executive Director of Life Action Ministries challenged us with these words by Jonathan GoForth (from the foreword to Oswald J. Smith's "The Revival We Need"): 
"If we all had faith to wait upon God in intense believing prayer, there would be genuine, Holy Ghost Revival...." 
As I've thought more about this today, I know the sad truth is, many so-called "Christians" are not really believers in the first place, so it's hard for them to "drum up" the faith to believe God for revival! We must have saving faith first! (Matthew 7:21-23)

Richard Owens Roberts wrote:
"Part of the tragedy of the hour is that people are trying to muster up faith. They hope they have inherited it from a grandparent or a parent. They think that perhaps by exposure to people of faith that faith is theirs. Faith is a gift of God, just as repentance is" (Acts 11:18; 2 Timothy 2:25).

For the Christian, revival is linked to faithpraying faith. Roberts also said, "Without faith it is impossible to please Him. We can pray all we like, but if our prayers are not prayers of faith, there is no consequence."

I have to ask myself, "Am I seeking God with true faith, asking Him to work in ways, perhaps, He has never worked before? 

What am I anticipating God to do?" What are you believing God to do?

Quiet our hearts to seek You, Lord.

No comments: