8/14/15

The Secret to Surviving Life's Floods

When I am inclined to give in to feelings of being overwhelmed ... when circumstances stack up against me until I feel I'm slipping beneath their control ... when I'm struggling because my problems seem insurmountable and constant ... when I tremble, fearing I am not enough to get through a deep trial ...

I know with certainty God has not left me without His presence, His power, His promises, His provision, His peace.

He is a God who rescues, who comes to our aid.

We see this with the Children of Israel, time after time,

"I am the LORD your God, and I rescued you from Egypt, 
so that you would never again be slaves. 
I have set you free; now walk with your heads held high" 
(Leviticus 26;13, CEV).

When catastrophes come, when our enemy floods our lives with more than we think we can handle, we are keenly aware of our need for rescue. Our need is for God. And we can walk in freedom, with our "heads held high," in Him.

God knows our needs, even the ones that threaten to crush us. The ones that swirl around our heads, seeking to drown out our effectiveness for the Lord. I've read the word "rescue" many times in the Bible - some say different forms of the word appear more than 500 times!

Rescuing is what our God does. He rescues us in salvation from our sin (Matthew 1;21), and then He keeps on rescuing us in our foolishness and selfishness - making us more like Christ.
Though our circumstances may not always change in exactly the way we hope they will, our Father rescues us from hopelessness. We learn to rest in the Rescuer and His purposeful love.
The scriptures remind us:

God rescues the weak and needy (Psalm 82:3-4).
He inclines His ear to us and hears our prayers (Psalm 17;6). 
He is our stronghold in the time of trouble (Psalm 37:39). 
He delivers us from our distress (Psalm 107:28). 
He knows those who take refuge in Him (Nahum 1:7).

Truly, when the enemy comes in like a flood, I know the One who holds my head above the water. I know the One whose name is Faithful and True.

Do you feel like you're going under for the third time, drowning under your circumstances? Stay connected to the One who delights in rescuing His children!

2 comments:

Marja Verschoor-Meijers said...

Such rich treasures to be found in Scripture, thanks for sharing this!

Dawn Wilson said...

Bless you, Marja! Yes, God's Word has many jewels.