2/3/16

The Power of the Tiny "Yes"

I read a post by Sharon Jaynes at the Girlfriends with God blog. In "Big Assignments Begin with

Tiny "Yeses," Sharon shares how she got into ministry. It's not what most people would expect.

She said countless "yeses" to what many people would consider insignificant, even demeaning tasks (like cleaning bathrooms at a ministry office).

Her life was a lot like the humble shepherd boy, David, who was found faithful in the little things. God was preparing David to lead an entire nation!

I know just what Sharon means. More than 40 years ago, I said "yes" to going to a revival team when they had nothing but a desire to see revival in America. And I mean nothing. Not even a vehicle to transport us to churches!

People thought I was crazy, but it turned out to be a wonderful and exciting time of discovering more about God and ministering in churches.

I've had my share of other humble beginnings before the Lord gave me bigger tasks to do. I was determined to honor God in each situation, and He blessed me every time.

I like what Sharon said:

"We don't obey God in the seemingly small assignments in order to get the bigger ones. However, God will never entrust someone with a big assignment who has not proved herself trustworthy in the small. ... Big assignments begin with a thousand tiny 'yeses.' Small steps of obedience become beautiful sweeping moves of faith."

I don't think we realize the power of the tiny "yes."
  • It releases us from fears.
  • It brings us freedom and peace, knowing we are in God's will.
  • It motivates us to take the next step... and the next.
  • It sets us up for great adventures with God.
In her book, Following God One Yes at a Time*, author Connie Cavanaugh wrote:

"Following Him (the Lord) requires the simple trust and immediate obedience of a child who believes God will make the way to Him simple, immediate and possible." 

Just a thought . . . is NOT following the Lord a sign we are afraid to trust or too stubborn to obey? And if He is Lord, why would we NOT trust and obey by saying "yes"? (Luke 6:46)

Connie describes six barriers to saying "yes"  fear, pride, guilt, shame, comparison and doubt.

Yes, I recognize some of those in my own life:
  • The assignment I didn't take because I was afraid I'd fail.
  • The task I thought was "beneath" me because it "wasn't my spiritual gift."
  • Remembering how I'd failed the Lord in the past.
  • Thinking I could never do the job as well as someone else.
  • And questioning God's call, wondering, "Lord, are you sure you've got the right gal?"
But you know something?
Whenever I've said "yes" to the Lord, He has opened up new adventures I never could have dreamed of myself
It's been an exciting way to live.

Some yeses are easier than others, but God is always faithful. 

And He rewards us for our faithfulness (Matthew 25:21: Luke 16:10a; 1 Corinthians 4:2).

The little "yes" you think might not amount to much might be the very door that could lead you into a ministry you could never imagine. Don't despise small beginnings! 

But even if a new door doesn't open, remember this:  God notices every faithful yes, and someday, He will likely say to you, "Well done, good and faithful servant! (Matthew 25:21)

Is the Lord asking you to follow Him in a new task today? Will you say "yes" to Him? If not, why?

 * Connie Cavanaugh, Following God One Yes At a Time (Harvest House Publishers, 2011) p. 14.

No comments: