7/10/16

My 4 Commitments in America's Unrest

I hesitate to write about the recent violence in America. I am no expert. I am only a member of God's family who loves His Word, and I'm trying to make sense of what I see.

I loved sharing with four "women of color" in two different circumstances this week - at a luncheon with evangelical women, and at my home church. We laughed, hugged and talked about things that matter.

I talked with one of them about all the upheaval we're seeing on television, and it was good to join in unity around the truth of scripture.

The Lord calls us to love others, but He also calls us to speak truth to one another. Oh, how desperately Americans need to hear the truth of the Word of God. It speaks to all the pain, but people turn away, unwilling to hear.

The sin problem touches all of us.
"As God's image bearers we are all equal," wrote Trillia Newbell. "We are equal in dignity and worth ... We are also fallen equally...."
I am responsible for my own attitudes. So are you. We can work and pray for reconciliation as the Lord brings these opportunities to us. I cannot fully understand the pain others have suffered, but that doesn't mean I can stop listening or stop trying to understand.

Yes, I recognize the sins of the past. But I do not dwell there. The Lord enables people to grow and move forward in forgiveness and grace past all grievances ... if we are willing.

In these scary days, I am committed to four things:

1. I will denounce evil wherever I find it. Even within myself. Especially within myself.

Again, the "speaking the truth in love" principle applies (Ephesians 4:15). We can't compromise with sin; but we can always lean in with greater love. We can hold out for hope.

2. I will strive to love with God's holy love.

God's "holy love" is not squishy. It's strong ... a love that is set apart and beyond compare.

3. I will stop speaking in stereotypes. They don't help, and most of the time they lack in compassion or understanding.

4.I will learn to see the people of the world as Jesus does - as sheep without a shepherd (Matthew 9:36).

I sorrow when I see the palpable anger in our culture. I am terribly sad over the moral decline in America. And I know it must pain God's heart that we have forgotten Him ... that we ignore - or worse - reject Him in all our struggles.

As a Christ-follower, I believe the answers to all our problems are not found in any earthly "savior" - only in THE Savior, the Lamb who is still calling people from every nation, tribe, people and language (Revelation 7:9).

Are you struggling with the violence and unrest we see in America? How is the Lord or His Word helping you respond in ways that are helpful - and in ways that will honor Him?


graphic from Morguefile

1 comment:

Dawn Wilson said...

Thank you, Marja. I'll have to check out your book. We need more people writing about truth today in the chaos of lies.