12/23/16

Why Christmas? It's All about the Gift of Grace!


As Solomon wrote, there is nothing new under the sun, so attempting to write something new about Christmas is pretty impossible.

But sometimes a fresh personal reflection breaks through.

This was my experience today.

As I looked at a small gift, I thought about God's great gift to me:
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son ..." (John 3:16a).

And then I immediately thought about the grace of God. It's no surprise to anyone who knows me that my favorite holiday song (by John Newton) is not typical of the season, but it speaks to my heart every Christmas.

Amazing Grace! How sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost but now am found, Was blind but now I see.
'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear, And grace my fears relieved;
How precious did that grace appear The hour I first believed.

"For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing: it is the gift of God...."(Ephesians 2:8)

Grace is a gift, and it's truly amazing. It's free, and we don't deserve it. 
God reached down to the depths of my darkness with incredible grace to bring me into His light. 
The meditations on my heart this Christmas season: 

"For the grace of God has appeared, bring salvation to all men, instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope and appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for us to redeem us from every lawless deed, and to purify for Himself a people for His own possession, zealous for good deeds" (Titus 2:11-14).

"For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though He was rich, yet for your sake He became poor, so that you through His poverty might become rich" (2 Corinthians 8:9).

Jesus came, and He is coming again. And in that parentheses between His two advents, He is making me and every other Christ-follower "a people for His own possession." 

What a beautiful truth:

"We are pulled to Christ through God's grace, we stand in it as we live in Christ, and His grace will surround us as we receive everlasting life." (~ Eddie Cloer, "Why Is God's Grace So Amazing?")

In Newton's words,

When we've been there ten thousand years Bright shining as the sun,
We've no less days to sing God's praise Than when we first begun.

We begin in grace and we'll end with grace  praise the Lord!


~ Graphic, courtesy of Lightstock.com, free photo

No comments: