3/4/17

Good Intentions Are Not Enough

The Lord spoke to me through a teabag tag.

I read my Good Earth Sweet & Spicy tag and mulled over the words:

"You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do." ~ Henry Ford

Now Ford didn't sit back, "intending." He got busy and built an automotive empire that earned him a place in industrial history. What adult in America does not know the name "Ford"?

But I believe my Father God doesn't want me to focus on building a reputation for myself.

Oh, he wants me to have a good reputation. "A good name is to be more desired than wealth..." (Proverbs 22:1a). We are to do our best to "maintain always a blameless conscience both before God and before men" (Acts 24:16). Paul recommended Christian leaders have "a good reputation with those outside the church" (1 Timothy 3:7). No Christian should bring reproach on the name of Christ by bad behavior.

But for the Christian, it shouldn't stop there.

I want to build a reputation for the Lord. 
Not that He needs it, but that it is His due.

I want to please Him (2 Corinthians 5:9-10), and I want to magnify His name (Psalm 34:3). God will not give His glory to another (Isaiah 42:8). Our goal must be to bring Him glory in all we do (1 Corinthians 10:31; Colossians 3:17).

The funny thing is, God honors those who honor him (1 Samuel 2:30b). But how many of us stop to think about how we can honor God?

I say I want to do that. I talk about it all the time. I intend to honor God. But I can't just think and talk about it. I must take action.

Deciding to do is not the same as actually doing.

Doing is often linked to obedience.

I am grateful I learned obedience to the Lord in a revival ministry, Life Action, in the early 1970s. By God's grace I am still taking action to please the Lord. (But sometimes I need a reminder to be more intentional - like that teabag tag!)

If I want to glorify God, I will want to: 
  • Obey Him,
  • Serve Him (with joy),
  • Demonstrate Christ-like love
  • Stand up for righteousness in the culture, and
  • Bring Him honor and glory in all I do.
Good intentions are not enough. 

I have to go beyond intentions to commitment, and then act on those commitments in daily choices.

What are some of the choices you will make today to bring glory to the Lord?

No comments: