4/23/17

Trifling with Eternity

I had a great discussion with a friend after church about 1 John 3:2-3. 


Jesus will return...
 "and everyone who has this hope in Him 
purifies himself just as He is pure" (HCSB).

I grieved over a friend who is a believer who has absolutely no desire to break sinful habits and become more like Christ.
Shouldn't knowing Jesus will return motivate us to evaluate our hearts, root out sinful thoughts/habits, and desire to do (in the power of the Spirit) what He wants every day? 
I'm not talking about legalism, but rather grace-filled obedience.
None of us is perfect. 
We need God's mercy every day. 
But I can't fathom people calling Jesus "Lord" and then absolutely not caring about growing to be more like Him. 
We all are "prone to wander." 
That's why. . . 

My heart cry for myself, and for all my Christ-follower family and friends, is that we will truly live for Him and ENCOURAGE each other to live in light of His coming. (Titus 2:13)
The Bible teaches His return is imminent.... the time could be very short.
I don't know about you, but I'm tired of trifling with eternity.
The same God who saved us wants to purify us. And I want to cooperate.
Don't you?
Graphic adapted courtesy of cohdra at Morguefile.

No comments: