5/27/17

How My Dog Reminded Me Not to Worship Idols


I love family, home, church, pet, writing, chocolate (and lots of other wonderful, good things), but I refuse to worship them.

It's hard sometimes. Especially when we're cuddling a pup we love so much. (But more about that later.)

I don't want to worship anything or anyone but the Lord God Almighty. It's a choice, sometimes a hard one, but a
choice nonetheless.

Worship of idols is excessive devotion to or reverence for something other than the one, true God.

The worship of "good things," not just things we know can get us into trouble, is a subtle snare of our enemy, Satan. He did, after all, offer the Jesus much in exchange for worship.

But Jesus' words were powerful:
"You shall worship the Lord your God and him only shall you serve" (Matthew 4:10b).

We have so much in America. We are so blessed. But in our wealth, we forget God. We forget how completely and totally dependent we really are on Him. It is only by His favor that we are a "wealthy" nation.

The sad truth is, in our wealth we have become spiritually poor.

Jesus understands this temptation. That's why He left heaven to become poor for us, that we might become spiritually rich (2 Corinthians 8:9).

I sincerely believe our "idol worship" is one of the reason our nation is in such trouble today.

Yes, I want America to be great again, but not without America becoming godly. Otherwise, in our covetousness, independence and self-sufficiency, we will never draw near to the Lord, repent and become holy before Him (James 4:8).

When we worship idols (when they are our focus), we become more like them and we lack understanding of the truth (Psalm 135:15-18). We exchange the glory of God for images (Romans 1:21-23), sad substitutes for Him. John Piper calls this the "dark exchange."

The Bible is clear about idolatry from beginning to end.
"...Do not turn to idols... I am the Lord your God" (Leviticus 19:4). (See also Exodus 20:3.) "Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry" (1 Corinthians 10:13-14). "... the idolaters... will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur..." (Revelation 21:8).

I'm not just spouting scriptures here. I'm taking the time to look at the things of love, and determine whether I love and even "worship" them more than the Lord.

My husband and I made an emergency trip to the veterinarian yesterday. We were not sure how serious our little furboy's condition was; and all the way there, I prayed.

During that time of prayer, God asked me, "Do you love little Roscoe more than you love Me, or my purposes?"

I felt that was a strange question at the time. But I pondered it the entire time Roscoe was at the vet. I knew the Lord had given us this sweet little creature to love and care for. But could I give him up if the Lord asked it of me?

I thought about other people and things I love, and I wept as I considered the cost my Lord might ask of me. I wept.

I surrendered again. I have to do this sometimes; I get so tied to this temporary world.

I reconfirmed my priorities: God first, family next, ministry and then all the other stuff.

And then I took time to worship the Lord with open hands. When we grasp our stuff, it's foolishness. Everything we are and have are really His, and open hands acknowledge an open heart to His will.

Tearing down the idols begins in our own hearts. Then in our families and churches. And then, hopefully, in our nation.

No comments: