5/30/17

We Only See the Outer Fringe

This scripture really got me thinking this morning.

"...these are but the outer fringe of his works; how faint the whisper we hear of him!" (Job 26:14a)

When I see the power of God at work, I am in awe of Him. 

And yet, Job says what we see is but the "outer fringe" and a "whisper" of His greatness. 


Think about that for a while.

God says, "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways" (Isaiah 55:8).

The Psalmist says,
"Many, O Lord my God, are the wonders which You have done, and Your thoughts toward us; there is none to compare with You...." (Psalm 40:5a).

And,
"How great are Your works, O Lord! Your thoughts are very deep" (Psalm 92:5).

Though we can come to know the Lord more and more, we can never fully fathom His greatness--His wisdom, power, patience, love, kindness, holiness, and so much more.

Job continued, "Who then can understand the thunder of his power." (Job 25:14:b)

Paul encourages us to be strong in the strength of His might (Ephesians 6:10), but the power of God is much more than we can fully realize. He is simply beyond us.

That is why He is God. That's why He is the Sovereign Lord. 

And that is why He deserves our praise and worship.

"Lord, you are great. You are mighty. There is nothing you cannot do. I praise you today. I worship you and recognize Your control in my life. 

"Thank you for sharing just a glimpse... the outer fringe of your works and the whispers of your grace--so that we might learn to stand in awe of you, fear You and obey You. 

"Thank you for Jesus, who draws us to Your side because of His great sacrifice on the cross. I love you, Lord." Amen


Graphic adapted, courtesy of decorama at Morguefile.

No comments: