7/7/17

Christian Marriage: A Glimpse of Our Spouse's 'Glory-Self'

I absolutely love this Christian vision for marriage from Tim and Kathy Keller in The Meaning of Marriage.
Here is a longer quote:
What, then, is marriage for? It is for helping each other to become our future glory-selves, the new creations that God will eventually make us. The common horizon husband and wife look toward is the Throne, and the holy, spotless, and blameless nature we will have. I can think of no more powerful common horizon than that, and that is why putting a Christian friendship at the heart of a marriage relationship can lift it to a level that no other vision for marriage approaches.

. . . here's what it means to fall in love. It is to look at another person and get a glimpse of the person God is creating, and to say, "I see who God is making you, and it excites me! I want to be a part of that. I want to partner with you and God in the journey you are taking to His throne. And when we get there I will look at your magnificence and say, "I always knew you could be like this. I got glimpses of it on earth, but now look at you!"

Each spouse should see the great thing that Jesus is doing in the life of their mate through the Word, the gospel. Each spouse then should give him- or herself to be a vehicle for that work and envision the day that you will stand together before God, seeing each other presented in spotless beauty and glory.


Randy Alcorn notes our marriage to Christ is the true marriage of the believer's life, "of which the best of earthly marriages was a symbol and shadow. ... One day all heaven will attend the ultimate wedding, and we will be His bride." (Ephesians 5:21-33; Revelation 19:7-9) But Alcorn also says he envisions people who've had important roles in our lives will continue to be friends... including a lot of people who have been married.

I can't say for sure that is true, but I do know my husband Bob is my best earthly friend, and the scriptures teach he is also my brother in Christ. We will serve and praise the Lord throughout eternity, along with all God's transformed creation!

I can't wait to look up my husband in heaven in his glorified state and say: 
"Look at you! I knew you'd be like this!"
Are you getting a glimpse of who your marriage partner will be in heaven? How can you encourage your spouse's growth into their "glory-self," all to the glory of God?



Graphic adapted, courtesy of Gabriel Ferraz at Pixabay.

No comments: